Thursday, August 17, 2006

It was a sad day at the Miller household today

After four years of loyal, dedicated service, my Chacos finally gave up the ghost! As I was walking into work I noticed one of the straps near my ankle was riding a little high (For those of you who don't know, Chacos feature one, continuous strap thread throughout the sandal making them extremely adjustable). I didn't think much of it because I had just used them alot the previous weekend and thought perhaps I tweaked the strap. When I got to my desk, I reached down, gave the strap a slight pull, and pulled the strap right out of the sandal! It looks as though sand and dirt had gotten in the sandal (which is common) but over time it either cut the strap in half or wore the glue off (I'm not exactly sure how the straps are secured. They may be fixable (definitely a hack job) but who knows. I took a few minutes to reminisce about our time together. This particular pair of Chaco's was worn everyday spring, summer, fall, (and some winter days) for four years. They had been on many hikes, a few climbs, many roadtrips, worn exclusively on one backpacking trip (I left my boots next to the front door), and had seen at least a few hundred miles. They have been by far the best piece of footwear I have owned. The footbed is contoured to my feet. The cost to restrap and resole them would be more than buying a new pair. I don't necessarily look forward to breaking in a new pair, but I do look forward to the many adventures that will be experienced in them.

2 comments:

Mrs. Olsen said...

I love Chacos! I've had the same pair for about 10 years. I usually use them when I'm whitewater canoeing, although they see a lot of use on solid ground too.

Eric Miller said...

They are the most versatile (and comfortable) piece of footwear ever!