Thursday, April 03, 2008

The Power of Being Honest

There's a lot to be said about companies and businesses actually being honest about their practices and the reasons why do they stuff. Most of the time I think the most accurate portrayal of what's going on comes from satirical writers and cartoonists. I found this short piece from NPR. I was going to post it last summer but it got buried and I just found it. It's about the horrid airline travel season many customers experienced this past summer. You can find the original and listen to the audio (the audio is much better) over at NPR.

"Hi. Welcome to our airline you poor fool. I'm going to ask you a series of questions, just to keep you occupied, shouting into the phone. But I'm a recording. I can't understand a thing you say.

"After you've been on hold longer than the Russians have been in Chechnya, I'll turn you over to someone on the other side of the world who also won't understand you, and thinks that Pittsburgh is Plattsburgh.

"Talk loudly and repeat everything six times. We find that hilarious.

"Plan on getting to the airport four hours early, spending five hours on the runway, and landing seven hours late. If you don't like that, maybe you should try walking to your destination on your hands.

"If you miss your connection: tough.

"If you're calling because we lost your luggage, join the club. Give us a full description of the contents of your bag so that we can distract you while we let it rot unattended in Yuma, Arizona for a week.

"Give us your credit card information. We'll add on several fees, taxes, and penalties to drive up the cost.

"Don't I sound friendly? Actually, I'm hugely indifferent to everything you say."

I found it to be quite enjoyable.

1 comment:

Eric and Jessi said...

The audio is much better, but this is still funny.