Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Is now really the time to buy and SUV?

The other day I read an interesting article from MSN Money about how now may be the best time to buy an SUV. For your enjoyment here it is.

Although the author brings up the point about using the savings you can instantly realize in buying certain SUVs for gas money for a year (it approximately equals out) what he failed to write about is the additional cost you will spend gasing your SUV for the years to come. Gas prices are on a steady rise, I don't think they will ever drop again. What other costs are associated with SUVs? It seems the bigger you go (even for small SUVs) the more they cost. Insurance is more, tires are more, parts are more, etc. Is it ever a good time to buy an SUV?

Now don't get me wrong. I know that SUVs have their place and they are better than other vehicles for some people, but you have to draw the line somewhere. How many people actually NEED an Excursion or Hummer (I know this is an all too often used example). I have heard the arguments that they have the money so they can buy such an expensive vehicle and the price of gas doesn't affect them. What does this show about them as people, as citizens of this nation? It comes across to me that they couldn't care less about the environment (yet another string that is pulled on all too often) or what is happening in the places we get oil. They in part are large contributers to some of the biggest problems that we are currently facing as nation.

I know some people would say I am hypocritical because I too drive a car with a gas combustion engine and I too buy gas. I believe there is a difference. Maybe I am splitting hairs here but at least I drive a car that consistently gets at least 37 mpg and I carpool everyday to work with 4 individuals. I feel as though I am actively taking steps to better our oil situation and better our environment. Even if you piled a Hummer to full occupancy you still wouldn't get as good of gas mileage as if I drove by myself.

So is this really the best time to buy an SUV. I think this is a sad attempt by US auto makers to pay off reporters to write articles to help drive up sales for our floundering US auto makers?

I will now step off my soap box.

No comments: