Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Mt. Olympus Assault

Just got home about 40 minutes ago from laying down a solid assault on Mt. Olympus. I headed up with Jamon from work. The guidebook said it is 6 miles round trip and 4050 feet of vertical gain (one website said 6.4 miles and 4200 feet of vert). The guide book said 3 hours 35 minutes one way, the website said 6 hours round trip. Well we beat those estimates by a bit.

We made it from the parking lot to the summit is 1 hour 55 minutes. We spent about 15 minutes or so on top and headed down. We made it down in about an 1 hour and 10 minutes. All told we made it up and down in about 3 hours and 25 minutes. No idea if that is fast or not, however, we felt good about it.

The way down was crushing, I fell twice. Once when I went to grab a tree to help me make a tight turn but my hand slipped off it. The second time when I caught my toe on a fin of rock sticking up in the trail. I caught myself but ramming my palms into two other fins. By the end my legs were jello and felt like they were going to give at any second.

It ruled. At the end Jamon said "it's been a long time since I've done something that 'stupid' during the week. I said "it's been a long time since I've done something that 'stupid'".

No comments: